You probably heard of it, the etiquette or manners of British, of French, Italian or any other European women from good old Europe. When some may appear as old fashioned, others can still apply today and can help you look and act more classy.
To be precise, manners is something that a woman would possess and demonstrate naturally, while etiquette is more of a set of rules that is sometimes hard to remember. And they can be different in different countries. So manners is what we are going for now, unless you have recently married a member of a some regal family 😉
Manners Of Modern European Women
Let’s look at some most common manners that are still widely used in Europe among modern ladies.
1.They accept help from men. Yes, they don’t say “I got this!” and then grab their heavy anything and bravely carry it to the car/door/stairs/etc. They actually like to be fragile in an elegant, feminine way. Fragile, not weak. They also accept opening of the doors, offering to hold a coat, opening the car door, pulling the chair out at the table, bringing the food if there is a buffet and other natural gentlemen-like behavior.
2. They don’t speak loud and/or a lot. Polite silence and silent politeness is the key. They listen more than they speak. They don’t share much information about their personal life unless you are their very good friend.
Here is what a modern British etiquette tutor says on that:
“I think women are sharing too much today. I was sat on the train the other day and a woman got on board and began talking very loudly about her private life on her phone. The whole carriage learned everything about her existence.”
3. They dress appropriately. It means, they try to dress specifically for work when at work, for leisure time when not at work, for diner when dining out, for walk when walking, for sport when doing physical activity or exercising, for home when staying at home. They also dress lightly for warm seasons, and warm and protected for colder seasons.
4. They say “Thank you” and “Please”. Pretty self-explanatory, yet sometimes can be forgotten. They use it, everyday and pretty naturally.
5. They don’t show too much. The classiest length of the skirt is knee-high or longer. It can be shorter, when it is summer and it is very warm, or with preferably dark tights. Never too short, otherwise it is considered a bad taste. The same goes for the cleavage, which can be elegant and attractive and never vulgar and provocative. They don’t wear anything transparent enough that would show their underwear, even if it is beautiful. Everybody does not need or want to know this.
6. They take care of themselves. Taking care means they have clean and groomed nails, never with a 2-3 weeks old nail polish chipped ones; they have a nice hairdo, not too much but something that would look natural and pretty; minimum of makeup, something light and again natural looking; not too much perfume but still present; not too much jewelry. And of course – no smoking, alcohol or drugs.
7. They leave good impression with minimum efforts. Simply by acting with common sense and a little bit of manners always make other people think and talk good long after you are gone. They do not impose anything on anyone, they don’t gossip, they don’t argue, they don’t show off, they don’t act entitled. They always offer help, they smile, they stay in good mood and are always polite.
“Every detail, no matter how trifling it may seem, is important if it contributes to pleasantness, to beauty, to comfort, or to taste.” -Emily Post