We continue with our series of healing for each chakra specifically for women. And today we will talk about second chakra, Swadhistana, that is located in our womb. This chakra is considered a female one, versus first one, Muladhara. That means we, as women, should pay particular attention to it and take good care. Let’s see how we can do it.
This chakra gets really activated at the age of 7 to 14 years old, when girl’s femininity, sexuality and sensuality wakes up. This is when a girl starts observing the world and her own body, and connecting herself to her body. This is why it is so important to provide the right understanding to a little girl about her own nature – a nature of a woman.
This is the best time to talk to her about specifics of how her body functions, the periods and cycles, and especially how to take a sacred care of yourself. That is when girls separate themselves from boys and start playing games where they pretend to be mothers or wives. Intuitively, they already know it.
This is also the time when a girl wants to learn more about the outside world, and this knowledge gets better incorporated in her mind. That is why it is the best time to introduce a girl to womanly leisure time like dancing, cooking or beauty rituals. This is also when a mother and a daugther start developing true friendship. A full acceptance of her own femininity will happen because of that.
Issues with This Chakra
However, if at that time a girl’s upbringing looks a boy’s one, with lots of school, sports, intellectual clubs, then femininity development naturally slows down. Unfortunately, this is what mostly happens now, in an attempt to empower women. This empowering happens in a wrong direction.
This leads to irritability and moodiness in a woman, because there is no understanding of her own nature. Often times, it turns into an automatic “good behavior” when a girl does all she is supposed to do, but she doesn’t feel any joy in it. In future, these girls will grow up having all sorts of issues with intimacy. It will be hard for them to accept and enjoy pleasure, they won’t be able to fully relax. They won’t be able to fully enjoy life and they will constantly think things like “I am not pretty”, “I am not fit enough”, “I am not desirable”, “I am not enough this or that”. Statistics show that 80% of women have sexual problems. And these problems first start in Swadhistana chakra.
Other consequences of the issues with this chakra are: over-anxiousness, suspiciousness, lack of flexibility, harsh rigid walk, issues with menstrual cycle and female organs, non acceptance of men in all shapes and forms in life. A girl at this age should learn how to find pleasure from herself with herself, from her body, from her magical nature, from her sacred mission on Earth.
This is also the age when feelings start to come out, and it is very important for parents to support that and not have her suppress them. It is best to praise the girl at this time of her life instead of punishing her. This in turn will show her that she doesn’t need to earn good attitude by doing something “proper”. Unfortunately, many women do exactly that – they try to earn good attitude towards them. They think they can only receive something good when they do something good first. It is not how it works for a woman. Which is why relationships with father at this time are also very important. Or at least, with a father figure. It is important that he calls her his little princess, pretty girl and all the nice things like that. Just for who she is. Not when she does something good.
It is understandable that we all had different childhood, and it was not necessarily ideal. But it does not matter now. What matters is that now you have all the information and knowledge to fix and heal everything that needs to be healed. Just apply them.
So what shall we do to nourish and strengthen our female Swadhistana chakra?
- Get in contact with your body with dancing (belly dancing is ideal), massage, self-pampering
- Rewriting of your own insecurities: take a notepad and write down this question “What do you like in me and my body?” Pass it over to your girlfriends and family, write something down yourself. Then when you have another body crisis, just go back and read what everyone wrote earlier. In front of the mirror. Out loud.
- Relationship healing with your father: writing letters to what you always wanted to say but never did
- Various practices to heal and grow sexual energy. There are plenty of them in ancient Taoists teachings. Breathing with the Womb, that I shared here. Practices of body self-awareness.
- Various feminine practices to increase and grow femininity (NOT success and NOT career)
- Increasing your sensuality. It is easy and can be done daily: enjoy your favorite fruit and savor it, by eating slowly and feeling all the sensations. Stand under a warm nice breeze and feel it with your skin. Enjoy a nice relaxing baths, with essential oils and candles. Try out all your dresses again. Try a new makeup. Eat something decadent and truly delicious, without any guilt but with full awareness that it opens up your sensuality.
- Eat more sweet and juicy foods. Swadhistana’s element is Water, which governs sweet taste as well
- Buy beautiful dresses, jewelry, accessories
- Read literature about femininity, feminine nature, about beauty and beautiful women
- Listen to beautiful, relaxing and soothing music
I can already feel the energy of this chakra just by making this list alone. Do you?
Try something and let me know in the comments.
Next time we talk about Manipura Chakra.
Photo by Ogo
Leave a Reply